I have had my eye on the Decorative Lamp set from Hero Arts for awhile, but have resisted buying it... until now! I finally dreamed up a project that required me to bring them home with me (that and stamps on sale + a coupon at Michael's). It took me a little while to be happy with the elements of the cards and get them to look like what was in my head, but after some experimenting I finally figured it out and was really pleased with the finished product.
I had to make the box twice because I forgot to account for the size of the envelopes the first time. Whoops! I used the emboss resist technique on all the solid panels. Embossed the lamps with clear embossing powder then applied Distress Ink. For the patterned panels I inked up the Hero Arts Envelope Pattern stamp (my new favorite) first with a little bit of the same color that was on the solid piece and then covered the stamp completely with a darker shade Distress Ink. A few spritz with the mini mister and wha-la! Then I added some of the lighter ink to the edges to give it some more definition. The misting was they key. I was never happy with the background until I added the water to blend the inks and give me some of those bigger splotchier areas.
Here are the colors of distress inks I used for each card (from left to right)
Pink: Spun Sugar & Worn Lipstick
Orange: Wild Honey & Spiced Marmalade
Yellow: Scattered Straw & Wild Honey
Green: Shabby Shutters & Peeled Paint
Blue: Tumbled Glass & Broken China
Purple: Milled Lavender & Dusty Concord
Another first for me. I have a pile of things I have gathered to make a mini album for our honeymoon just sitting on my desk. I am not a scrapbooker because well a big scrapbook page scares me! So I thought maybe, just maybe I could handle a mini book. Needless to say, I haven't done anything with it until now. I only made the cover so far. I'm pretty happy with it I think.
I used Thickers for the first time...fun! And about 6 different stamp companies, including the made in Hawaii "Aloha" stamp I picked up while I was there. Figuring out the layout took me about 2 days so maybe I can get more confident at this and the rest of the book will move along faster. I will keep you all posted! :)